My Soccer World

Football: LA Galaxy Turn Down US$10m Offer For Beckham

Posted on: February 8, 2009

LOS ANGELES, California – Los Angeles Galaxy have turned down a ten million dollar offer from AC Milan for David Beckham, currently on loan to the Serie A outfit, the Los Angeles Times reported on Saturday.

“We just received an offer. It was rejected,” said Tim Leiweke, chief executive of AEG, which owns the Galaxy.

Leiweke, the man instrumental in bringing the England veteran to Los Angeles from Real Madrid in 2007, did not mention a figure but the LA Times said it was believed to be at least ten million dollars.

Beckham has stated he wishes to prolong his loan-stay in Milan beyond March 9, when he should return Stateside in time for the new MLS season.

“We need to end the distractions, the circus and the zoo. If David ultimately is an asset for this team, we want him back,” Leiweke said.

“If David ultimately has a hunger and a desire to come help us make the impact on the pitch that we wanted to make with him but haven’t done yet, then he’s an important member of this team and our intention is to bring him back.

“Clearly, if David’s in a position where he wants to finish the season in Milan, and Milan in turn compensates the Galaxy so that we can suffer no damages to our fans or to our team, then we’ll take a look at it,” he added, alluding to a potential compromise.

Beckham, hoping to retain his place in the England set-up with an eye on the 2010 World Cup, has been in fine form for the Italians, netting twice in his opening five games and helping the side to second place in the table.

But Leiweke said Milan and Beckham had to be aware they need to play squarely by the rules.

“We have made it very clear to them that we expect David back here March 9. They agree and understand we own the contract. They understand the only way we do this is if, when this is all said and done, the Galaxy benefits.

“If the Galaxy comes out better without David than with David, then we’ll take a look at it,” he insisted.

“We understand his infatuation with playing on the world’s most popular club team right now, and we understand his trying to mentally get around the idea of coming back to play with a team that didn’t make the playoffs in MLS last year.”

“That said, David and us actually are talking. He has never forced our hand on anything. This is not a legal conversation and has never been a legal conversation. He does not have lawyers looking at the contract.”

“David has made it very clear that if our decision is to bring him back here, he will return. Period.

“Last time I checked, we’re the ones that have the contract. So the decision as to where David’s going to play this year is as much ours as anyone’s.

“If David comes back, it will be because there were decisions made by all involved and he’ll accept that. I don’t think he’ll be as disgruntled as the media makes it out to be.”

– AFP /ls

Channel News Asia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog Stats

  • 28,592 hits

Top Clicks

  • None

Categories

%d bloggers like this: