My Soccer World

Football: Bosses Rally Round Robinho Over Sex Assault Probe

Posted on: January 29, 2009

MANCHESTER: Manchester City and Brazil national coach Dunga threw their support behind Robinho on Wednesday after he was arrested and bailed over allegations of rape in a British nightclub.

Robinho, 25, Britain’s most expensive player, was questioned by police on Tuesday after an allegation of serious sexual assault in a nightclub in Leeds, northern England. He denies any wrongdoing.

Manchester City said the Brazil international had its “full support” and club manager Mark Hughes praised his “excellent” performance in the team’s 2-1 victory against Newcastle late Wednesday.

In Rio de Janeiro, Dunga said the player had called him and denied all wrongdoing, adding: “I have no reason to doubt the word of Robinho.”

He said he had always been able to rely on the star and insisted Robinho would be called to the Brazil squad which is due to face world champions Italy in a friendly international in London on February 10.

In a statement, Manchester City – which signed Robinho from Spanish giants Real Madrid in September for 32.5 million pounds (US$46.2 million) – gave its full support to the striker.

“The club have been liaising with and assisting both the player in question and the authorities in relation to the West Yorkshire Police investigation,” the club said.

“Both parties have been given the full support of the football club. No charges of any nature have been brought against the player and no further statement will be made whilst the investigation is continuing.”

Robinho’s spokesman said the player “strenuously denies” the allegations.

“We can confirm that Robinho met the police today (Tuesday), as pre-arranged and as part of a criminal investigation,” spokesman Chris Nathaniel said in a statement on Robinho’s official website.

“He strenuously denies any allegation of wrongdoing or criminality and is happy to cooperate with the police if further required.”

West Yorkshire Police confirmed a man was arrested on Tuesday, questioned over an alleged incident on January 14 and released on bail pending further inquiries.

Robinho returned to training on Wednesday and joined the line-up against Newcastle, where he teed up Shaun Wright-Phillips for City’s opener.

Hughes praised his performance, saying: “I spoke to Robbie in the morning and he was very focused, looking ahead to the game and preparing as normal.

“After the conversation I had with him I had no qualms about putting him in because mentally he was in the right place and focused on the job in hand.

“He created the first goal with an intelligent ball and I thought his overall play was excellent.”

The Sun newspaper reported a teenage university student had alleged she was raped by Robinho in the VIP area of The Space nightclub in Leeds, northern England.

The report said Robinho, who is married and has a son, had gone to the nightclub for a night out with his teammates.

Earlier this month Robinho walked out of the team’s warm weather training camp in Tenerife and headed for Brazil, citing an “important family matter”, thought to be his 25th birthday.

He returned to Manchester on Sunday and held a meeting with Hughes the following day. Hughes said Robinho would be fined for leaving the training camp without permission.

Robinho, whose full name is Robson de Souza, joined City following its takeover by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan of Abu Dhabi. Before then, Chelsea had been the frontrunners to sign him.

Reports say Robinho is unsettled at Manchester City and was disappointed by the failure of the club’s audacious attempt to sign his Brazil teammate Kaka from AC Milan.

A reputation for partying has pursued Robinho throughout his career.

While at Real Madrid in 2007, he fell out with then club manager Fabio Capello after he was late returning from international duty having been seen in a nightclub the night before.

– AFP/yb

Channel News Asia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Football: Bosses Rally Round Robinho Over Sex Assault Probe

Posted on: January 29, 2009

MANCHESTER: Manchester City and Brazil national coach Dunga threw their support behind Robinho on Wednesday after he was arrested and bailed over allegations of rape in a British nightclub.

Robinho, 25, Britain’s most expensive player, was questioned by police on Tuesday after an allegation of serious sexual assault in a nightclub in Leeds, northern England. He denies any wrongdoing.

Manchester City said the Brazil international had its “full support” and club manager Mark Hughes praised his “excellent” performance in the team’s 2-1 victory against Newcastle late Wednesday.

In Rio de Janeiro, Dunga said the player had called him and denied all wrongdoing, adding: “I have no reason to doubt the word of Robinho.”

He said he had always been able to rely on the star and insisted Robinho would be called to the Brazil squad which is due to face world champions Italy in a friendly international in London on February 10.

In a statement, Manchester City – which signed Robinho from Spanish giants Real Madrid in September for 32.5 million pounds (US$46.2 million) – gave its full support to the striker.

“The club have been liaising with and assisting both the player in question and the authorities in relation to the West Yorkshire Police investigation,” the club said.

“Both parties have been given the full support of the football club. No charges of any nature have been brought against the player and no further statement will be made whilst the investigation is continuing.”

Robinho’s spokesman said the player “strenuously denies” the allegations.

“We can confirm that Robinho met the police today (Tuesday), as pre-arranged and as part of a criminal investigation,” spokesman Chris Nathaniel said in a statement on Robinho’s official website.

“He strenuously denies any allegation of wrongdoing or criminality and is happy to cooperate with the police if further required.”

West Yorkshire Police confirmed a man was arrested on Tuesday, questioned over an alleged incident on January 14 and released on bail pending further inquiries.

Robinho returned to training on Wednesday and joined the line-up against Newcastle, where he teed up Shaun Wright-Phillips for City’s opener.

Hughes praised his performance, saying: “I spoke to Robbie in the morning and he was very focused, looking ahead to the game and preparing as normal.

“After the conversation I had with him I had no qualms about putting him in because mentally he was in the right place and focused on the job in hand.

“He created the first goal with an intelligent ball and I thought his overall play was excellent.”

The Sun newspaper reported a teenage university student had alleged she was raped by Robinho in the VIP area of The Space nightclub in Leeds, northern England.

The report said Robinho, who is married and has a son, had gone to the nightclub for a night out with his teammates.

Earlier this month Robinho walked out of the team’s warm weather training camp in Tenerife and headed for Brazil, citing an “important family matter”, thought to be his 25th birthday.

He returned to Manchester on Sunday and held a meeting with Hughes the following day. Hughes said Robinho would be fined for leaving the training camp without permission.

Robinho, whose full name is Robson de Souza, joined City following its takeover by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan of Abu Dhabi. Before then, Chelsea had been the frontrunners to sign him.

Reports say Robinho is unsettled at Manchester City and was disappointed by the failure of the club’s audacious attempt to sign his Brazil teammate Kaka from AC Milan.

A reputation for partying has pursued Robinho throughout his career.

While at Real Madrid in 2007, he fell out with then club manager Fabio Capello after he was late returning from international duty having been seen in a nightclub the night before.

– AFP/yb

Channel News Asia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Football: Bosses Rally Round Robinho Over Sex Assault Probe

Posted on: January 29, 2009

MANCHESTER: Manchester City and Brazil national coach Dunga threw their support behind Robinho on Wednesday after he was arrested and bailed over allegations of rape in a British nightclub.

Robinho, 25, Britain’s most expensive player, was questioned by police on Tuesday after an allegation of serious sexual assault in a nightclub in Leeds, northern England. He denies any wrongdoing.

Manchester City said the Brazil international had its “full support” and club manager Mark Hughes praised his “excellent” performance in the team’s 2-1 victory against Newcastle late Wednesday.

In Rio de Janeiro, Dunga said the player had called him and denied all wrongdoing, adding: “I have no reason to doubt the word of Robinho.”

He said he had always been able to rely on the star and insisted Robinho would be called to the Brazil squad which is due to face world champions Italy in a friendly international in London on February 10.

In a statement, Manchester City – which signed Robinho from Spanish giants Real Madrid in September for 32.5 million pounds (US$46.2 million) – gave its full support to the striker.

“The club have been liaising with and assisting both the player in question and the authorities in relation to the West Yorkshire Police investigation,” the club said.

“Both parties have been given the full support of the football club. No charges of any nature have been brought against the player and no further statement will be made whilst the investigation is continuing.”

Robinho’s spokesman said the player “strenuously denies” the allegations.

“We can confirm that Robinho met the police today (Tuesday), as pre-arranged and as part of a criminal investigation,” spokesman Chris Nathaniel said in a statement on Robinho’s official website.

“He strenuously denies any allegation of wrongdoing or criminality and is happy to cooperate with the police if further required.”

West Yorkshire Police confirmed a man was arrested on Tuesday, questioned over an alleged incident on January 14 and released on bail pending further inquiries.

Robinho returned to training on Wednesday and joined the line-up against Newcastle, where he teed up Shaun Wright-Phillips for City’s opener.

Hughes praised his performance, saying: “I spoke to Robbie in the morning and he was very focused, looking ahead to the game and preparing as normal.

“After the conversation I had with him I had no qualms about putting him in because mentally he was in the right place and focused on the job in hand.

“He created the first goal with an intelligent ball and I thought his overall play was excellent.”

The Sun newspaper reported a teenage university student had alleged she was raped by Robinho in the VIP area of The Space nightclub in Leeds, northern England.

The report said Robinho, who is married and has a son, had gone to the nightclub for a night out with his teammates.

Earlier this month Robinho walked out of the team’s warm weather training camp in Tenerife and headed for Brazil, citing an “important family matter”, thought to be his 25th birthday.

He returned to Manchester on Sunday and held a meeting with Hughes the following day. Hughes said Robinho would be fined for leaving the training camp without permission.

Robinho, whose full name is Robson de Souza, joined City following its takeover by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan of Abu Dhabi. Before then, Chelsea had been the frontrunners to sign him.

Reports say Robinho is unsettled at Manchester City and was disappointed by the failure of the club’s audacious attempt to sign his Brazil teammate Kaka from AC Milan.

A reputation for partying has pursued Robinho throughout his career.

While at Real Madrid in 2007, he fell out with then club manager Fabio Capello after he was late returning from international duty having been seen in a nightclub the night before.

– AFP/yb

Channel News Asia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog Stats

  • 28,565 hits

Top Clicks

  • None

Categories

%d bloggers like this: