My Soccer World

Football: Middlesbrough’s Downing Hands In Transfer Request

Posted on: January 5, 2009

LONDON : Middlesbrough’s England winger Stewart Downing took a step closer to joing Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur by handing in a transfer request on Monday.

Downing’s move came just hours after Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson insisted the 24-year-old would not be leaving the north-east club during January’s transfer window.

Although he signed a new five-year contract with Middlesbrough in February last year, Downing has grown increasingly frustrated with what he regards as his home town club’s lack of ambition.

Downing’s father, Stewart senior, told Middlesbrough’s Evening Gazette on Monday: “Stewart’s been frustrated since the summer, really.

“When he signed his new contract he was assured that there would be significant investment in the squad.

“He feels that the club haven’t matched those expectations. He’s also frustrated that the team is once again struggling in the Premier League.

“Obviously as a Middlesbrough lad, he’s thought long and hard about the decision to hand in a transfer request, and he also hopes the fans will understand his reasons for doing so.”

Boro are understood to want 15 million pounds (16.5 million euros) for Downing with Spurs opening their bidding at only 11 million pounds.

Tottenham’s initial offer was branded “derisory” by Boro chief executive Keith Lamb, who also told the News of the World on Sunday that Spurs were guilty of hypocrisy when it came to prising players away from their clubs.

“Who on earth do they think they are? They bleated away when Dimitar Berbatov left for Manchester United in the summer – but they sold at top dollar.

“Then they want to snatch other players for derisory offers and try to unsettle players. That is what has happened here. Their offer is a joke.

“Why would we sell our best players to our nearest rivals? Stewart is going nowhere,” said Lamb.

– AFP /ls

Channel News Asia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Football: Middlesbrough’s Downing Hands In Transfer Request

Posted on: January 5, 2009

LONDON : Middlesbrough’s England winger Stewart Downing took a step closer to joing Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur by handing in a transfer request on Monday.

Downing’s move came just hours after Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson insisted the 24-year-old would not be leaving the north-east club during January’s transfer window.

Although he signed a new five-year contract with Middlesbrough in February last year, Downing has grown increasingly frustrated with what he regards as his home town club’s lack of ambition.

Downing’s father, Stewart senior, told Middlesbrough’s Evening Gazette on Monday: “Stewart’s been frustrated since the summer, really.

“When he signed his new contract he was assured that there would be significant investment in the squad.

“He feels that the club haven’t matched those expectations. He’s also frustrated that the team is once again struggling in the Premier League.

“Obviously as a Middlesbrough lad, he’s thought long and hard about the decision to hand in a transfer request, and he also hopes the fans will understand his reasons for doing so.”

Boro are understood to want 15 million pounds (16.5 million euros) for Downing with Spurs opening their bidding at only 11 million pounds.

Tottenham’s initial offer was branded “derisory” by Boro chief executive Keith Lamb, who also told the News of the World on Sunday that Spurs were guilty of hypocrisy when it came to prising players away from their clubs.

“Who on earth do they think they are? They bleated away when Dimitar Berbatov left for Manchester United in the summer – but they sold at top dollar.

“Then they want to snatch other players for derisory offers and try to unsettle players. That is what has happened here. Their offer is a joke.

“Why would we sell our best players to our nearest rivals? Stewart is going nowhere,” said Lamb.

– AFP /ls

Channel News Asia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Football: Middlesbrough’s Downing Hands In Transfer Request

Posted on: January 5, 2009

LONDON : Middlesbrough’s England winger Stewart Downing took a step closer to joing Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur by handing in a transfer request on Monday.

Downing’s move came just hours after Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson insisted the 24-year-old would not be leaving the north-east club during January’s transfer window.

Although he signed a new five-year contract with Middlesbrough in February last year, Downing has grown increasingly frustrated with what he regards as his home town club’s lack of ambition.

Downing’s father, Stewart senior, told Middlesbrough’s Evening Gazette on Monday: “Stewart’s been frustrated since the summer, really.

“When he signed his new contract he was assured that there would be significant investment in the squad.

“He feels that the club haven’t matched those expectations. He’s also frustrated that the team is once again struggling in the Premier League.

“Obviously as a Middlesbrough lad, he’s thought long and hard about the decision to hand in a transfer request, and he also hopes the fans will understand his reasons for doing so.”

Boro are understood to want 15 million pounds (16.5 million euros) for Downing with Spurs opening their bidding at only 11 million pounds.

Tottenham’s initial offer was branded “derisory” by Boro chief executive Keith Lamb, who also told the News of the World on Sunday that Spurs were guilty of hypocrisy when it came to prising players away from their clubs.

“Who on earth do they think they are? They bleated away when Dimitar Berbatov left for Manchester United in the summer – but they sold at top dollar.

“Then they want to snatch other players for derisory offers and try to unsettle players. That is what has happened here. Their offer is a joke.

“Why would we sell our best players to our nearest rivals? Stewart is going nowhere,” said Lamb.

– AFP /ls

Channel News Asia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog Stats

  • 28,560 hits

Top Clicks

  • None

Categories

%d bloggers like this: