My Soccer World

Football: Owen Delays Contract Decision

Posted on: December 23, 2008

LONDON: England striker Michael Owen will not make a decision about his future with Newcastle United until the end of the season, a statement released by his agent said on Monday.

While that means Owen, 29, will stay with Newcastle through the January transfer window, his long-term future remains uncertain when his current 103,000 pounds-a-week (153,969 dollars) deal expires at the season’s end.

But the statement did say the former Liverpool and Real Madrid forward, who is now free to talk to other clubs from January 1, would consider a pay-cut if he decided to stay at St James’ Park.

“Following speculation about my future at Newcastle United, I have decided today (Monday) to make it clear that I am committed to the club until at least the end of this season, and I have informed them I do not want to make a decision about my future until that time,” club captain Owen said.

“I hope this will be seen as a positive step and not seen as being disloyal in any way.

“I am happy here and enjoy the challenge. It is simply a matter of seriously thinking about my future as I was 29 last week and my next career decision is a crucial one.

“My decision is not about money. I told the club some months ago that I would accept a reduction in my wages.

“I have no intention of leaving Newcastle United during the January transfer window and want to assure the fans that under Joe Kinnear’s passionate management, I am committed with the rest of the players to ensure that the club ends the season on a high.”

However, Owen has left open the possibility he may move to another team where he feels he has a greater chance of winning a trophy and so impressing England manager Fabio Capello, who has done without him in recent matches, even when the player has been fit.

If Owen was to leave at the end of the season, Newcastle would not receive a transfer fee on their highly-prized asset as he would be a free agent.

Kinnear, who offered the striker a new three-year contract last week, responded positively to Owen’s comments.

“Michael told me in person about his decision and I fully understand where he is coming from,” Kinnear explained to Newcastle’s official website, http://www.nufc.co.uk.

“We have a great relationship as captain and manager and that will certainly continue. He is focused on scoring goals for Newcastle United and helping us keep progressing this season.

“Michael will consider his options in the summer but I am still optimistic that he will stay with us when it comes to making a decision.”

He added: “In the meantime I have no doubts whatsoever that he will continue to give 100 percent.

“I’m looking forward to him continuing to score goals for us as they will be crucial in what we do for the rest of the season.”

Newcastle did appear destined for relegation from the Premier League earlier this season but have risen up the table since Kinnear took charge following Kevin Keagan’s exit and the caretaker spell at the helm of Chris Hughton.

Sunday’s 2-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur left Newcastle four points above the relegation zone in 12th place.

Owen has scored 19 goals in 37 games this year but his time on Tyneside has been beset by injuries with his overall record for Newcastle now standing at 29 goals in 63 games. – AFP/de

Channel News Asia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Football: Owen Delays Contract Decision

Posted on: December 23, 2008

LONDON: England striker Michael Owen will not make a decision about his future with Newcastle United until the end of the season, a statement released by his agent said on Monday.

While that means Owen, 29, will stay with Newcastle through the January transfer window, his long-term future remains uncertain when his current 103,000 pounds-a-week (153,969 dollars) deal expires at the season’s end.

But the statement did say the former Liverpool and Real Madrid forward, who is now free to talk to other clubs from January 1, would consider a pay-cut if he decided to stay at St James’ Park.

“Following speculation about my future at Newcastle United, I have decided today (Monday) to make it clear that I am committed to the club until at least the end of this season, and I have informed them I do not want to make a decision about my future until that time,” club captain Owen said.

“I hope this will be seen as a positive step and not seen as being disloyal in any way.

“I am happy here and enjoy the challenge. It is simply a matter of seriously thinking about my future as I was 29 last week and my next career decision is a crucial one.

“My decision is not about money. I told the club some months ago that I would accept a reduction in my wages.

“I have no intention of leaving Newcastle United during the January transfer window and want to assure the fans that under Joe Kinnear’s passionate management, I am committed with the rest of the players to ensure that the club ends the season on a high.”

However, Owen has left open the possibility he may move to another team where he feels he has a greater chance of winning a trophy and so impressing England manager Fabio Capello, who has done without him in recent matches, even when the player has been fit.

If Owen was to leave at the end of the season, Newcastle would not receive a transfer fee on their highly-prized asset as he would be a free agent.

Kinnear, who offered the striker a new three-year contract last week, responded positively to Owen’s comments.

“Michael told me in person about his decision and I fully understand where he is coming from,” Kinnear explained to Newcastle’s official website, http://www.nufc.co.uk.

“We have a great relationship as captain and manager and that will certainly continue. He is focused on scoring goals for Newcastle United and helping us keep progressing this season.

“Michael will consider his options in the summer but I am still optimistic that he will stay with us when it comes to making a decision.”

He added: “In the meantime I have no doubts whatsoever that he will continue to give 100 percent.

“I’m looking forward to him continuing to score goals for us as they will be crucial in what we do for the rest of the season.”

Newcastle did appear destined for relegation from the Premier League earlier this season but have risen up the table since Kinnear took charge following Kevin Keagan’s exit and the caretaker spell at the helm of Chris Hughton.

Sunday’s 2-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur left Newcastle four points above the relegation zone in 12th place.

Owen has scored 19 goals in 37 games this year but his time on Tyneside has been beset by injuries with his overall record for Newcastle now standing at 29 goals in 63 games. – AFP/de

Channel News Asia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Football: Owen Delays Contract Decision

Posted on: December 23, 2008

LONDON: England striker Michael Owen will not make a decision about his future with Newcastle United until the end of the season, a statement released by his agent said on Monday.

While that means Owen, 29, will stay with Newcastle through the January transfer window, his long-term future remains uncertain when his current 103,000 pounds-a-week (153,969 dollars) deal expires at the season’s end.

But the statement did say the former Liverpool and Real Madrid forward, who is now free to talk to other clubs from January 1, would consider a pay-cut if he decided to stay at St James’ Park.

“Following speculation about my future at Newcastle United, I have decided today (Monday) to make it clear that I am committed to the club until at least the end of this season, and I have informed them I do not want to make a decision about my future until that time,” club captain Owen said.

“I hope this will be seen as a positive step and not seen as being disloyal in any way.

“I am happy here and enjoy the challenge. It is simply a matter of seriously thinking about my future as I was 29 last week and my next career decision is a crucial one.

“My decision is not about money. I told the club some months ago that I would accept a reduction in my wages.

“I have no intention of leaving Newcastle United during the January transfer window and want to assure the fans that under Joe Kinnear’s passionate management, I am committed with the rest of the players to ensure that the club ends the season on a high.”

However, Owen has left open the possibility he may move to another team where he feels he has a greater chance of winning a trophy and so impressing England manager Fabio Capello, who has done without him in recent matches, even when the player has been fit.

If Owen was to leave at the end of the season, Newcastle would not receive a transfer fee on their highly-prized asset as he would be a free agent.

Kinnear, who offered the striker a new three-year contract last week, responded positively to Owen’s comments.

“Michael told me in person about his decision and I fully understand where he is coming from,” Kinnear explained to Newcastle’s official website, http://www.nufc.co.uk.

“We have a great relationship as captain and manager and that will certainly continue. He is focused on scoring goals for Newcastle United and helping us keep progressing this season.

“Michael will consider his options in the summer but I am still optimistic that he will stay with us when it comes to making a decision.”

He added: “In the meantime I have no doubts whatsoever that he will continue to give 100 percent.

“I’m looking forward to him continuing to score goals for us as they will be crucial in what we do for the rest of the season.”

Newcastle did appear destined for relegation from the Premier League earlier this season but have risen up the table since Kinnear took charge following Kevin Keagan’s exit and the caretaker spell at the helm of Chris Hughton.

Sunday’s 2-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur left Newcastle four points above the relegation zone in 12th place.

Owen has scored 19 goals in 37 games this year but his time on Tyneside has been beset by injuries with his overall record for Newcastle now standing at 29 goals in 63 games. – AFP/de

Channel News Asia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog Stats

  • 28,560 hits

Top Clicks

  • None

Categories

%d bloggers like this: