Football: Barton Escapes Fresh FA Action
Posted November 5, 2008on:
LONDON: Joey Barton will not face disciplinary action after getting caught up in a controversial incident during Newcastle United’s 2-0 win at home to Aston Villa, the Football Association (FA) said on Tuesday.
During the course of Monday’s victory at St James’ Park, a result that lifted Newcastle off the bottom of the Premier League table, the midfielder seemed to flick a hand in the face of opposing striker Gabriel Agbonlahor.
Referee Steve Bennett appeared to have a quiet word with Barton, who moments before the incident had been booked, but it was not clear if the official had seen his gesture towards Agbonlahor.
“I thought it was a foul against me, and I had a hold of the ball,” Barton told the Newcastle Chronicle.
“We shook hands after the game and that’s the way it is. It was all about nothing,” he added.
“Nothing has gone on, people are making a mountain out of a molehill.”
Barton is playing under ther threat of a six-match suspended ban. This follows his return to action three games ago after serving six games of a 12-game ban imposed after a training ground incident involving former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo.
The remaining part of the ban will come into force should Barton be dismissed for an offence of violent conduct before the end of next season.
Both Villa manager Martin O’Neill and Newcastle assistant Chris Hughton played down the incident between Barton and Agbonlahor.
Barton recently served 74 days in prison for assaulting a 16-year-old boy. – AFP/de
Channel News Asia